Pilates is a form of exercise developed by Joseph Pilates with the aim of increasing strength, flexibility, and control of the body. Pilates is based on six principles:
- Concentration: focus on the body only
- Control: having control of the body’s movement
- Center: continually using the center that encompasses the abdomen, lower and upper back, hips, buttocks, and inner thighs
- Flow: the center coordinates movements of the extremities to build strength and stamina
- Precision: avoid poor movement patterns/habits
- Breathing: coordinate breathing with movement
Our physical therapists are able to integrate Pilates-based exercise into treatment as an approach to increasing muscle strength and improving flexibility in a safe and effective manner.
In addition to offering Pilates during physical therapy sessions, private instruction is also available with our certified Pilates Instructors. Please contact our office for more information.